Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's The Call Thursday!

Welcome all. I'm sure you have been anxiously awaiting this Thursday's post :)
Today's is a doubleheader. First lets have the rookies answer the first one and vets comments on the second one. If no answers Vets please help out. Thanks all!

First Game: Rookies

Runner on 1st with no out. Runner takes off for 2nd and the pitcher steps off and throws to first. They proceed to have a run down between 1st and second. The runner is attempting to return to 1st and the defense throws the ball out of play.

What is the award?
What if the pitcher did not step off and tried to pick off the runner and threw it out of play?

Second Game: Vets

End of inning. The 3rd base coach walks across infield on the way to the dugout and stops by to have a quick chat with the pitcher. Nothing more than a, "don't be afraid to change it up some, go get um Billy and a quick pat on the butt".

Do we charge a conference? What should we do?

What if he stops by and chats for a bit longer. Actually talking for 30 seconds?
Do we charge a conference? If not what should we do?

Why or Why not?

Thanks Guys!

Thanks.

8 comments:

  1. Great question Ricky!I see it customary for a coach to give the ball to his pitcher. My first instinct is to not charge a conference since the inning has'nt started and no warm ups have been thrown. I tend look at charge conferences as "strategy" not encouragement, though sometimes that all a charged conference is.I would not charge a conference but would limit the warm up pitches if it takes more than "One minute"
    Jon Payne

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st Game

    R1 gets 3rd from overthrow 'out of play' in the rundown.

    R1 gets 2nd, if overthrow 'out of play' by the pitcher from the rubber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. runner 1 would get 3 base due to it being a 2 base award.. if he was on the rubber and threw it away it would be a 1 base award due to it being time of pitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops I ment 3rd base not 3 base :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm 100% with Jon on this. I can't charge a conference for something in between innings. Should the coach sit out there for a minute or more I would probably go get ready behind the plate. If the coach still hasn't figured it out yet, I would give a nice, quiet enough "let's go, coach!" to get him moving. If he doesn't move after that, then I'm calling it a conference.
    TB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the key to this question is common sense - which means I shouldn't answer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree all common sense with this one regarding the trip. A coach had mentioned that he was charged a trip on this and wanted it on another coach on a following game. So just thought I'd throw it out there. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was still umpiring pro ball I did a high school game and charged a coach with a trip b/c technically by pro rules that is a trip. Period. In high school rules (unless it has changed in the last 5 yrs) between innings that is not a trip unless it delays the game (i.e. 1 min discussion).

    Garrett Wilson

    ReplyDelete